Sunday, July 29, 2012

The most amazing week in London so far


The last few days here have been amazing! London is a continuous surprise and unexpected is sometimes so unexpected!
Last week a colleague of mine invited me to a show. She sad it was something really interesting and very difficult to get tickets for. I usually say yes to wherever they invite me, and this time wasn't an exception. So on Sunday we went to Stratford to attend the “bum bum train”. First of all let me tell you it's something I can't talk much about because it's a kind of a secret. I mean, people are invited not to talk about it too much to not ruin the surprise to other people who may go to the show. Anyway the least I have to say is that is an inspiring and overwhelming experience. Something you should try at least once in your life. Unfortunately it's sold out for this year until September so if you would ever like to go you will need to wait for the next year. But if you'll ever have the chance to go listen to me: go! Just one suggestion: get involved. Really!
On Thursday I went to see Mika again! This time it was a real show, not a short gig like the one I saw at Lovebox. The show was in Heaven club, actually the most famous gay club in London. I don't care! I just wanted to see Mika on a proper venue. Again, amazing! The show did last at least one hour and half. One song after another. All people singing and screaming. He performed really well, singing some of the new songs from the new album that is going to release on September. When he went back stage at the end of the show all people were screaming “Mika, Mika” so he came out and performed the song that gives the title to the new album “The origin of love”: a really touching interpretation.
So you could say that it was enough! And here it comes the unexpected...
I was drinking a beer with my colleagues after work talking about the olympics and the pain that will cause to the transports and to the people that actually lives and works here in London. I was feeling like kind of lucky to be quite far from the crowd and the traffic that the opening ceremony starting in less than three hours would have caused. And then the call... Luigi I have a spare ticket for the ceremony: would you like to come?.................................... Are you kidding me? Yes!!!!
So I started to run! I needed to be on the other side of London in an hour or so. I left my bike in the office run to the tube than back the office (I forgot the house keys in the back pack) then back again to the tube. Took the central line to Stratford from Hanger Lane. After 40 minutes I was in Stratford. From there I took the DLR and finally I was behind the shopping centre. Lucky me, I was in time!
So we entered the stadium area and passed all the security checks. It was like an airport checkin. Then we went towards the stadium and finally got into it. And then again another surprise. We wouldn't have been on the terraces. We were going to see the show from a very different perspective: from the middle of it!!!
So we entered the “standing area” and then they locked us in. We couldn't get out of there for reasons you can imagine. So they started to train the audience for how to take part of the show. Every seat had a led lamp they could use to make choreographies. Then at 9pm the show begun.
There were too much things. A lot of people involved. A lot of things. You probably have seen that on the tv. But being there was so exciting.
One of the most spectacular thing was the rings fireworks they did in the first part of the show. Most of the people saw it from a side or over it on the tv. But I actually saw it from the under. Probably the best view!
After the first part completed the athletes of each nation started to come into the stadium. This part wasn't so exciting at least not until the italian's athletes came out. So I run to the rail. They were there at no more than 2 meters. I screamed and took a whole lot of pictures!
And in the end the GB team came out and all the stadium went crazy. Then there were a few people talking and finally they light up the torch. And then everybody home!

No comments: