Friday, May 04, 2012

Looking for a Job in London

This week I started my search for a job.
On Monday I had my first interview. It was a really really long interview lasting 3 hours! I had 2 programming tests and after that a chat with 2 guys, an Italian and an English guy.
I was worried about my English because it's not perfect. But I managed to speak and understand almost everything they asked me. I was quite successful on the interview because the day after the agent called me back because they wanted to see me again for a second interview. So we scheduled a meeting for Thursday.
Meanwhile I kept receiving this calls from other agents. I also had to cancel an application because of the distance.
So yesterday I had this second interview: so another test! Really! I don't like tests! Luckily this was a shorter one even if a question or two put me on a little trouble. Anyway I answered all of them. The manager read the test and without asking me anything he started to call all the other developers. So I met almost the entire development team. They asked few questions about my skills and experience.
Then they started talking to me about the company rules. Here in UK you work 7.5 hours per day and 7 on Friday. They have a dress code from Monday to Thursday but Fridays are casual. Work starts at 9am and ends at 5.30pm. One hour launch break: there are a few places where you can eat hamburgers or some indian or japanese food if you feel brave. I like the company: it's not far from home, there is also an italian guy to have launch together and they have a pool on the rest room: amazing!

I think I made a good impression and they will likely.... no, they will! made me an offer. Let's see what will happen.

This week I also met few people. Actually friends of friends. It feels wierd to have a contact list on your phone of people you do not really know. Anyway you start talking to people and speak about everything and it feels like you have been friends since ages. So I discovered that monday here will be off cause of the bank holiday. And that there will be other two bank holidays at the end of may and in june. I need to start planning holidays!

No comments: